COVID-19 caused by coronavirus is a pandemic now. The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared it a global pandemic. Coronavirus is a deadly disease that poses a huge menace to humanity.
Various nations are struggling hard to combat this fatal ailment. Thus, this virus is causing fear in the minds of the people. As a result, people are getting terrified and suffering from anxiety and stress.
Thus, to fight away the stress caused due to COVID-19, individuals can adopt few measures to have a Healthy Immune System.
Exercises To Increase Immune System during The COVID-19 Pandemic
Some breathing exercises are helpful in lung functioning. The lungs are responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. Thereby, the lungs maintain the healthiness of our heart, brain, and other parts of the body.
Various factors that affect the lungs functioning are smoking, age, pollutants, etc. For instance, anyone who is suffering from COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) can perform exercises to prevent shortness of breath. But it is significant for a COPD patient to take their doctor’s advice before attempting any exercise, especially breathing exercises.
Breathing exercises help in enhancing a person’s lung capacity. The list of Exercises to Increase Immune System is discussed below:
- Pursed Lip Breathing Exercise
Pursed lip breathing is an exercise that can help in keeping the airways open for longer. This exercise helps in airflow. This exercise can be performed easily. People can do pursed-lip breathing nearly anywhere for 5 to 10 minutes every day.
To perform a pursed-lip breathing exercise:
- Simply sit straight to practice good posture always. This helps in better lung function.
- Then, breathe in deeply through your nose. Breathe in a slow controlled manner.
- Purse your lips in the form of a ‘kissing’ face. The lips are not quite touching each other.
- You have to breathe out from pursed lips. Your goal must be breathing out twice only if inhaling.
- Many individuals set a timer as they find it useful to focus on inhaling for 5 seconds and breathing out for 10 seconds.
- This exercise can be useful for someone who is not as physically active. Those with COPD can also get help by performing the pursed-lip breathing exercise.
- Laughing and Singing As An Exercise
Any movement that makes the abdominal muscles functional is good for lungs too. Laughing and singing activities do the same. To fight away the anxiety caused by this existing pandemic, you can perform laughing and singing exercises. Laughing improves lung capacity. It also expels out stale air out of the lungs. Thus, fresh air enters the lungs.
Similarly, singing activity drives the diaphragm muscle. It also facilitates the lungs functioning in a better way.
- Belly Breathing Exercise
Belly breathing is an exercise that concentrates on directing and reinforcing the diaphragm muscle. The diaphragm muscles permit a person to take a deep breath.
Follow these steps to carry out this exercise:
- Just rest your hand on your stomach.
- You may also place a lightweight object on your stomach.
- Now, breathe in through the nose in a slow manner. Simply observe how your stomach rises and falls while taking breaths.
- You need to exhale through your mouth.
- Now again, breathe in through your nose. This time try to get your stomach to go up more than it did with the earlier breath.
- Try to breathe out for a much longer time than when you inhale.
- At times, check that there is tension in your upper body. Simply roll your shoulders forward and backwards and move your head side to side to ensure that.
- This exercise has been proposed by the American Lung Association. It helps in improving inhalation and exhalation.
An individual can practise belly breathing for about 5 to 10 minutes daily to achieve a Healthy Immune System.
- Rib Stretching Exercise
The rib stretching or expanding the ribs exercise helps the lungs in taking as much air as possible.
To perform rib stretching exercise:
- Stand in an upright posture with your hands on your hips.
- Next, gently inhale air.
- Now, hold your breath for 20 seconds. Then, breathe out slowly.
- Relax and repeat this exercise for 3 times.
Doing Exercises to Increase Immune System regularly will facilitate your lungs to take in more air and completely breathe out stale air out of your lungs.
- Interval Training Exercise
Interval training is a steady exercise to Increase Immunity. Anyone suffering from breathlessness while exercising can resort to interval training.
The instance of interval training is walking rapidly for 1 minute. Then, walk slowly for 2 minutes.
- Tips to Preserve Lung Health
Steps that a person can take to improve their lung health are:
- Abstain from smoking
- Drink plenty of water
- Stay physically active
- Avoid drinking soda and sugary drinks
- If a person has poor lung health and is suffering from shortness of breath during daily activities should take the guidance of their doctors.
Anyone who is experiencing pain when breathing or constant coughing must consult their doctor.
Healthy Eating Tips during The COVID-19 Outbreak
You may follow these healthy eating tips to improve your lifestyle during this existing pandemic:
- Purchase Fresh Fruits & Vegetables
Due to panic buying these days, people are unable to find fresh food supplies. However, a Healthy Immune System needs to include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. Purchase fresh fruits and vegetables and wash them properly. Store them in the refrigerator and use them for making juice, soups, stews, or any dishes.
- Dried & Canned Food
Consuming fresh vegetables and fruits is the best alternative. But if fresh items are not available, then you can use dried and canned food. Canned chickpeas, beans can offer essential nutrients. Canned food can be stored for months.
Similarly, you may also use canned oily fish like mackerel, sardines, and salmon. These are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. You will get essential minerals and vitamins by consuming these canned fish items.
Canned vegetables like tomatoes are a good option. You can use canned vegetables when fresh vegetables are not accessible.
You can utilize dried lentils, beans, split peas, quinoa, and rice than canned food supplies. These dried foods are nutritious, pleasing, and long-lasting.
- Healthy Snacks
You can Increase Immunity by munching on healthy snacks. Instead of buying sweet and salty snacks, you may buy healthy cheese, nuts, eggs, yoghurt, and dry fruits. You will develop healthy eating habits by consuming healthy snacks.
Lastly, avoid purchasing processed foods, packaged sweets, and snacks, and ready meals as these are not healthy. These foods may cause other sicknesses during this pandemic.
Content Expert with 3 years of experience in writing on multi-niche!